Water Matters

The latest on our work and those supporting it

Happy Sierra Leone National Independence Day 2024!

Saturday, April 27th, 2024by Jamie Heminway

Today is Sierra Leone Independence Day! On this day in 1961, Sierra Leone gained independence from England, emerging as a sovereign state. To honor this important day, we asked several Sierra Leoneans to recount their personal Independence Day reflections and celebrations.

Envisioning Service-Led WASH Resilience in Sub-Saharan Africa

Monday, April 22nd, 2024by Emma Kelly

In order to protect rural communities against the worsening threat, we must ensure that both water infrastructure and water services are resilient.

Water for Peace – World Water Day in Western Kenya

Monday, March 18th, 2024by Jamie Heminway

The following is a message from Humphrey Buradi, Regional Director at The Water Project’s Regional Service Hub in Western Kenya. Here is the global water crisis at a glance as we leverage Water for Peace on World Water Day 2024: Based on the above facts, human beings have always found themselves in conflict accessing water. […]

Communication: One of the Best Keys to Unlocking Potential

Wednesday, January 3rd, 2024by Jamie Heminway

One of the founding principles of The Water Project (TWP) was that anyone who helped create a water project should be able to ask questions about how that project is doing, even years after its implementation.  Nowadays, anyone who funds a water project through us can log in, even years afterward, to ensure the water […]

The Stories We Tell at a Storytelling Conference

Monday, November 13th, 2023by Jamie Heminway

When I started at The Water Project (TWP) in 2021, I was a Program Services Reporting Officer — one of the people who writes and compiles the reports our donors get about their specific project(s) when they give. I carefully crafted my bio for our website, writing, “Jamie is a storyteller by nature.” Then, in […]

Tips for Visiting Africa for the First Time

Wednesday, September 13th, 2023by Jamie Heminway

Many of our US-based staff members at The Water Project have lived, worked, or been on extended visits to Africa. We’re well aware that Africa is an entire continent; travelers should expect big differences between countries, regions, and even counties/sub-counties. However, some travel tips can apply anywhere. We thought we’d share some of our cumulative knowledge […]

Catherine’s Rise to Woman Leader – Thanks to Water

Wednesday, September 6th, 2023by Jamie Heminway

Living without clean water taught me many lessons. 

The Power of Collaboration in Research: Unveiling New Insights 

Thursday, July 27th, 2023by Harnoor Kaur

Introduction: In our continuous pursuit of knowledge and improvement, The Water Project (TWP) has long relied on quarterly monitoring surveys to gather data on our water points. However, we recently embarked on a new venture by incorporating qualitative research for the first time. Our main goal was to gain a deeper understanding of the challenges […]

The Big Nudge

Tuesday, June 13th, 2023by Tess Crick

A big nudge began in me in 2010. Having worked in software project management for nearly 30 years, I felt a shift inside. Something was changing, something was on the horizon, but not yet in view. 

Ways to Support The Water Project

Wednesday, April 5th, 2023by Alex Taliaferro

As a member of the Philanthropy Team here at The Water Project (TWP), I’m often asked by our amazing donors how else they can help beyond their donation. I love this question, and honestly, the best ways I’ve seen to expand your impact have come from the examples other passionate donors have shared with me! […]