Water Matters

The latest on our work and those supporting it

Happy Sierra Leone National Independence Day 2024!

Saturday, April 27th, 2024by Jamie Heminway

Today is Sierra Leone Independence Day! On this day in 1961, Sierra Leone gained independence from England, emerging as a sovereign state. To honor this important day, we asked several Sierra Leoneans to recount their personal Independence Day reflections and celebrations.

Water is Sacred 

Wednesday, December 27th, 2023by Jamie Heminway

Just think, for a moment, of how important water is in your life. You need to drink water every day to stay alive. You need water to clean your body, brush your teeth, wash your hands, and dispose of waste inside and outside your body. Water is hugely important, and even imagining life without water […]

What Makes the Kenyan Season of Goodwill Last All Year Long?

Friday, December 15th, 2023by Jamie Heminway

In her blog from earlier this year, Kenyan staff member Catherine Chepkemoi shared her experience living without clean water for so long. During this time, she needed help to afford higher education and, later, to build a home. Her community — including her friends, neighbors, and coworkers — helped her realize those dreams through a […]

Tips for Visiting Africa for the First Time

Wednesday, September 13th, 2023by Jamie Heminway

Many of our US-based staff members at The Water Project have lived, worked, or been on extended visits to Africa. We’re well aware that Africa is an entire continent; travelers should expect big differences between countries, regions, and even counties/sub-counties. However, some travel tips can apply anywhere. We thought we’d share some of our cumulative knowledge […]

Just Flour and Water: The Dish Eaten ‘Round a Continent

Tuesday, June 20th, 2023by Jamie Heminway

It’s called by many names.  In Sierra Leone, it’s called fufu or foofoo. In Uganda, it’s posho. In Kenya, it’s ugali. But all over Africa and the Caribbean, people are (essentially) eating the same thing. With its worldwide adoration, I was surprised I’d never heard of this dish until I started working at The Water […]

Community

Tuesday, January 17th, 2023by Courtney Feild

I’m lost! If you need me in order to be warm, I’m yours….   The path where I led my dog on our daily walk every day for three years took us along the shores of the vast Lake Coeur d’Alene in the panhandle of Idaho, and as we trundled into the cold lake […]

From All of Us to All of You: Our Holiday Traditions

Wednesday, December 21st, 2022by Jamie Heminway

This year, we asked our staff, both in the United States and abroad, to recount their favorite holiday traditions so that we can get to know our peers (and also so we could cover each other’s adorable recollections with heart emojis). You’re invited to join us and revel in the nostalgia and tradition that comes […]

6 Proven Benefits of Giving

Thursday, November 18th, 2021by Jamie Heminway

Studies show that individuals are giving more now than in recent years (as opposed to corporate giving, which fell in 2020 for some mysterious reason). Maybe hours of helpless doom-scrolling have stirred people to action. And if you’ve landed here, then you’re probably already thinking about portioning out some of your hard-earned funds toward causes you care […]