A Year Later: Shivakala Primary School

August, 2017

A lot has changed in our school. I now have peace in my mind that my pupils are getting safe drinking water in the school.

A Year Later: Shivakala Primary School

A year ago, generous donors helped build a rainwater catchment system, latrines, and hand washing stations for Shivakala Primary School in Kenya. Because of these gifts and our monthly donors, our partners are able to visit project sites throughout the year, strengthening relationships with communities and evaluating the actual water project. Because of these consistent visits, we learn vital lessons and we hear amazing stories - we're excited to share this one with you.

"As you approach the school, you are welcomed by a clean compound with no litter," says field officer Catherine Chepkemoi. "As I entered the staff room, I noticed the floor was clean - a clear indication that it was mopped in the morning. The latrines and classrooms were also clean. This is a clear indication that sanitation has greatly improved," says Catherine.

4597_YAR_3

"Pupils are now able to access clean safe drinking water in the school. They no longer must carry water from home to school for drinking. Instead, they carry empty bottles from home to school. At break times, they freely access water from the tank. They fill their empty bottles and take water for drinking to their classrooms and they quench their thirst whenever they feel thirsty."
4597_YAR_2
Catherine had the chance to speak with Head Teacher Hesborn Ambeva during her visit. "A lot has changed in our school. I now have peace in my mind that my pupils are getting safe drinking water in the school. We now have enough water for drinking, cleaning the classrooms and latrines on daily basis as well as water for cooking in the school. Performance has also improved. There was a great improvement of + 12 % in the 2016 end year examinations compared to previous years."

4597_YAR_4

Metrix Khavesa, a 12-year-old student at Shivakala Primary School, said, "I am happy to come to school every day from Monday to Friday knowing that I will get safe drinking water in the school. I no longer must carry water from home. Carrying a 10-liter jerry can to school was too heavy for me. I will improve my performance since I want to go a good secondary school. I know I have a bright future."
4597_YAR_5 A year later, Shivakala Primary School has improved in so many ways thanks to accessing clean water on the school grounds. As we continue to monitor their progress and conduct refresher courses on hygiene and sanitation practices, we're excited to share more stories from this primary school in Kenya.

The Water Project and our partners are committed to consistent monitoring of each water source. Our monitoring and evaluation program, made possible by monthly donors, allows us to visit communities up to 4 times a year. Read more about our program and how you can help.

See The Water Project in Metrix Khavesa's Community »

When you invest in The Water Project, you're investing in people like Metrix Khavesa. Your gifts help us reach more communities with the gift of clean, safe water. And every drop helps unlock potential.

Read More Stories From the Field »