Dina's Farm is Growing!

May, 2024

A year ago, your generous donation helped the Esiandukusi Community in Kenya access clean water – creating a life-changing moment for Dina. Thank you!

Dina's Farm is Growing!

Last year, your gift unlocked the potential for a brighter future for Dina. Since then, she and the Esiandukusi Community of 118 residents have had clean, reliable water. Your contribution has made a significant impact. Thank you for making a difference!

"Fetching water that flows continuously is so refreshing. It is easy, it is fast and also the place looks good," said Dina.

Before the Spring Protection

Sixty-two-year-old farmer Dina Anyangu is responsible for collecting water to meet her and her family’s daily water needs. Before the water intervention last year, that task stole her time and negatively affected her Dina.

Drinking the water caused severe consequences. Many in her community suffered from waterborne diseases that created health problems, affecting their daily lives. The spring's limited accessibility also meant people wasted time trying to collect sufficient water to meet their needs.

A community member collects water from the spring before it was protected.

"Before the waterpoint was protected this area was bushy and unkempt. When it rained, the water would become muddy making it impossible to use. At the same time, people would crowd here because then we had to wait for the water to settle and be clear for us to use," shared Dina.

Since the Spring Protection

Your generous gift last year was much more than a simple donation; it was a powerful statement about your commitment to this community and Dina’s future. By supporting the water solution, you made clean water an everyday reality for her, fostering hope for a brighter future.

Dina collecting water.

Reliable and clean water lays the groundwork for improved health, education, and economic possibilities, allowing people like Dina to thrive. We frequently hear from those we interview that "water is life!"

When we asked Dina what life is like with clean water she said, "Life becomes easy. I don't have to struggle [with] sieving, boiling, or waiting for [water] to settle. It relaxes life."

"The water flowing through the pipe is a lot and it fills the container faster than using a jug," continued Dina.

The Future is Looking Bright!

A year ago, you made a difference for Dina and the rest of her community. This is just the first chapter of their story as access to clean water continues to improve their lives!

At The Water Project, we value sustainability and want to ensure that people continue to thrive. We commit to monitoring this project to ensure the water is always flowing and safe to consume. We inspect the system hardware, track water availability, conduct sanitary inspections, and collect water quality samples to identify risks. We work with our team on the ground to resolve them.

Dina watering her plants.

You gave Dina a crucial tool for achieving her dreams: access to clean water. Together, we can excitedly expect that with this precious resource, her enthusiasm and courage will help her fulfill her dreams.

"My small farm has benefited from this waterpoint, whenever there has been a shortage of rain. If I can sustain the energy, I will start selling vegetables like my neighbors. Considering the proximity I have to the spring, I might try to take advantage of another dry season," concluded Dina.

Dina harvesting crops.

See The Water Project in Dina's Community »

When you invest in The Water Project, you're investing in people like Dina. Your gifts help us reach more communities with the gift of clean, safe water. And every drop helps unlock potential.

Read More Stories From the Field »