300+ students need water at Prophecy Primary School in Sierra Leone

Help these students gain access to clean, reliable water in celebration of World Water Day on March 22nd.

Welcome to the School

Prophecy Primary School employs seven teachers and can get quite noisy with its 305 students. Without Prophecy Primary in Sankoya community, children would have to walk extraordinary distances elsewhere.

There is no electricity or running water. There are three classrooms and a space for the headmaster’s office. Each classroom is split for two classes, facing opposite directions.

Classrooms at Prophecy Primary School

Water Situation

There is a hand-dug well on school grounds which supports students with their cleaning, hand-washing, and drinking needs. They always carry a bucket back home at the end of the day because there isn’t another clean water source in their part of Sankoya. In fact, the entire community relies on the school’s well.

(more…)

Because of our Monthly Donors

256f8f18-41c5-40bb-94b2-30576d4c1460

Kankalay Primary School in Sierra Leone has too many reminders of Ebola. The Water Project completed a water and sanitation project here in 2011, and the photo you see above is of the toilets installed for the school. When Ebola was at it’s worse, this whole area became a treatment center.

If you look closely you’ll see where medical equipment and linens infected with Ebola were burned against the building. Students are still using these facilities, and the accompanying water well is providing safe water – thanks to your support! (more…)

Diesel’s Piggy Bank

Chris and Amber Larkins, from Tennessee, share their story about how they became involved in The Water Project and the inspiration they found in their 3 year old son, Diesel. 

DieselThis story was told to us by Chris.

———

6 months ago, the Holy Spirit starting putting it on my heart to look into people who were hungry and poor. As I began researching, I found the water crisis was at the root of so many problems: hunger, poverty, education. It all came back to clean water (more…)

Theatre for the World

This post comes to us from Brian Schultz, creator of Theatre for the World.

theatre for the world

There are many people who have inspired me over the years, but if you are looking for someone famous who led me on the path to give back it is the late, great Harry Chapin.  I loved his music, and still do, but even more so, I loved his passion to use his gift to make this world a better place. There is no reason, that in a world of abundance, we should have people starving or dying from hunger or thirst.  Clean water is accessible for the people of Africa, we just need to lend a hand.

(more…)