Daniel and His Family No Longer Suffer from Water-Related Illnesses!

May, 2024

A year ago, your generous donation helped the Bulupi Community in Kenya access clean water – creating a life-changing moment for Daniel. Thank you!

Daniel and His Family No Longer Suffer from Water-Related Illnesses!

Last year, your gift unlocked the potential for a brighter future for Daniel. Since then, he and the Bulupi Community of 245 residents have had clean, reliable water. Your contribution has made a significant impact. Thank you for making a difference!

"I have not suffered from any waterborne disease since the completion of this water point. The money I used to spend on medication has since been channeled to improving my family's quality of life," said Daniel.

Before the Spring Protection

Daniel Odongo, a 36-year-old farmer is responsible for collecting water to meet his and his family’s daily water needs. Before the water intervention last year, that task stole his time impacting the other things he could accomplish and negatively affected his and his family's health.

Drinking the water caused severe consequences. Many in his community suffered from waterborne diseases that created health problems, affecting their daily lives. The spring's limited accessibility also meant people wasted time trying to collect sufficient water to meet their needs. The difficult journey to collect water sapped their physical and emotional energy, creating roadblocks and sometimes preventing them from earning a livable income. This negatively impacted their ability to care for their families.

The spring before its protection.

"The water was dirty and contaminated. One time, two of my children were diagnosed with typhoid and their treatment cost a large sum of money, which I hadn't budgeted for. On numerous occasions, I had severe coughing and upon visiting the nearby dispensary the doctor confirmed it was due to drinking contaminated water. Boiling didn't help much because children would always drink directly from the partially protected spring whenever they went to collect water," shared Daniel.

"There were long queues before the spring was reprotected. It was muddy and slippery. Collecting water took a long time, and sometimes, villagers would get impatient, and fights would erupt. The overcrowding would make me collect water from the more contaminated and unsafe nearby stream," continued Daniel.

Since the Spring Protection

Your generous gift last year was much more than a simple donation; it was a powerful statement about your commitment to this community and Daniel’s future. By supporting the water solution, you made clean water an everyday reality for him, fostering hope for a brighter future.

Daniel collects water from the protected spring.

Reliable and clean water lays the groundwork for improved health, education, and economic possibilities, allowing people like Daniel to thrive. We frequently hear from those we interview that "water is life!"

"The collection area is clean because of the tiles, unlike when I would stand in a pool of stagnant water [before]. The stairs have made it easy to access the water point. The discharge is sufficient, thereby eliminating the overcrowding that was there before," said Daniel.

"It now takes less than a minute to fill up a 20L jerrican which means I can collect water and return home in less than ten minutes! Initially, it would take me up to an hour to and fro, yet my home is less than 100m from the spring."

The Future is Looking Bright!

A year ago, you made a difference for Daniel and the rest of his community. This is just the first chapter of their story as access to clean water continues to improve their lives!

At The Water Project, we value sustainability and want to ensure that people continue to thrive. We commit to monitoring this project to ensure the water is always flowing and safe to consume. We inspect the system hardware, track water availability, conduct sanitary inspections, and collect water quality samples to identify risks. We work with our team on the ground to resolve them.

You gave Daniel a crucial tool for achieving his dreams: access to clean water. Together, we can excitedly expect that with this precious resource, his enthusiasm and courage will help him fulfill his dreams.

"I don't have to worry about contracting any illnesses related to unclean water. Even my cows are healthier than before," said Daniel.

"I have planted vegetables and arrowroots. Last year I had only one cow, today I have three healthy ones. Soon, one of them will start giving us milk. I intend to increase the size of my vegetable farm and in [the] future buy another parcel of land for expansion. I'm confident that my cow herd will continue to grow. In this regard, I plan on approaching the nearby Bulupi Secondary School for a tender to supply vegetables and milk," concluded Daniel.

See The Water Project in Daniel's Community »

When you invest in The Water Project, you're investing in people like Daniel. Your gifts help us reach more communities with the gift of clean, safe water. And every drop helps unlock potential.

Read More Stories From the Field »