Master Pools Guild – Brand Partner

We had the pleasure of speaking with Teri Wiltshire, Special Projects Manager of Master Pools Guild (MPG) and Carla Sovernigo, President/CFO of Alka Pool and past Chairwomen of MPG to learn more about their organization and commitment to providing clean water to communities in need. Master Pools Guild has partnered with The Water Project since 2015, raising more than $100,000 and helping 2000+ people gain access to clean water.

The Guild is an international network of elite custom pool builders who build the world’s finest pools and have a commitment to sharing with and educating other members. “One thing that makes this organization unique, with over 100+ member companies, is that these are companies that are primarily family businesses, some of them in their 2nd and 3rd generation and I think that brings a unique character to the group as a whole,” shares Teri. “It gives this group something special that is hard to find anywhere else.”

Current members have grown up together, creating a special community, “It is not just an organization of businesses, it’s a family. And we connect to one another like family. We don’t just care about our businesses, we care about each other,” adds Carla. (more…)

Bio Ouster – Brand Partner

Bio Ouster is all about clean water.  It’s more than just their business – it’s their passion! They are a leader in household water treatment of hot tubs, swimming pools, jetted bathtubs, washing machines and water filtration systems.  In 2018, through a partnership with The Water Project, they expanded their clean water impact to include the developing world.

We had the opportunity to speak with Managing Partner, David Wood, to hear more about Bio Ouster and their commitment to providing communities with access to safe water.

Prior to starting Bio Ouster, David spent 19 years as the publisher for four industry magazines devoted to the swimming pool and spa industry. “As a leisure industry focused on water, I became very aware of the major worldwide crisis facing humanity,” says David. “On a personal level, my son took a 3-week immersion trip in high school to El Salvador. Upon his return, he shared multiple stories of the challenges they faced with just getting access to any water, much less clean water. It left a lasting impression.” (more…)

Jade Yoga – Brand Partner

https://jadeyoga.com/

Jade Yoga has been a supporter of The Water Project since 2011. Jade is committed to making the world’s best performing, most environmentally friendly yoga products and giving back to the earth with every product sold – including clean water! We had the opportunity to speak with Dean Jerrehian of Jade Yoga about his commitment to providing clean water through his business opportunities.

Dean first learned about the water crisis from his daughter, while she was in high school. “She explained to me that time kids could be spending in schools learning was often used to travel long distances to obtain fresh water – not to mention the many water-borne diseases they were at risk for. It was honestly surprising to me that such a basic need (that I take for granted) is so hard to come by for me.” (more…)

Notes from Spencer, Director of Program

In February I was able to make my first journey as Director of Program with The Water Project to visit our projects in Lungi and Lokomasama, Sierra Leone.  I had the good fortune of traveling with Michael Ballou, our resident engineer and operations manager on staff at The Water Project. We flew into Lungi Town, located to the North of Tagrin Bay, which flows between quaint and quiet Lungi and the large and sprawling capital of Freetown to the south. The area is marked by rows of Palm trees- vestiges of an oil industry now abandoned, and by numerous fruit and nut trees that continue to flourish in the area.  The thick crown of prolific mango trees serve as a ubiquitous seasonal candy-shop. Cashew trees are not as common, but provide a two-for-one fruit and nut combination within some of the communities. Cotton trees stand as sentinels above the tops of the mangos and palms with roots that resemble flying buttresses and thick branches that stretch toward the sun. Walk down a dirt ribbon road and discover breadfruit trees and guava. A humid coastal heat blankets the day of a dry season leading into a hotter and drier March.

Spencer with our partners in Sierra Leone

The people radiate a strength and resilience of those who have endured some of the most difficult trials that life has to offer- natural disasters, Ebola outbreaks, cholera epidemics, civil wars, and post-colonial political challenges.  Whether purchasing bread or negotiating passage through a road under construction we were often greeted with a slight smile and the words “my friend.” Our implementing partner organization, Mariatu’s Hope is working with communities to install or rehabilitate thirty-five water, sanitation, and hygiene projects this year and they are currently monitoring 124 water points which they have previously implemented.

(more…)