Water Matters

The latest on our work and those supporting it

A Day in the Life: Jeff Maluki, Field Officer in Southeast Kenya

Friday, March 19th, 2021by Tom Murphy

Field Officer Jeff Maluki spends a lot of time each day traveling between project sites. The semi-arid region of Southeast Kenya is vast and often dry. “My job requires a lot of traveling as I have to visit several groups in a day which are often far apart. I spend around one hour thirty minutes, […]

A Day in the Life: Adelaide Nasimiyu, Field Officer in Western Kenya

Friday, March 12th, 2021by Shannon Esrich

It’s 5:00 am, and Adelaide is already up; it’s time for morning devotions and reading a book. By 7:00 am, Adelaide is out the door after making herself breakfast – an hour earlier than she used to leave before the pandemic. Her earlier start is due to the safety guidelines of avoiding public transport, as she […]

Adjusting to a new normal to prevent COVID-19 at schools

Friday, March 5th, 2021by Tom Murphy

The students and teachers at Malaa Primary School in southeast Kenya are adjusting to a new normal. School is back in session, but it includes many new protocols to prevent the spread of COVID-19. “The virus continues to spread, but we are taking measures to keep ourselves safe,” said teacher Peter Wambua. We spoke with […]

Restoring hope by returning to school, safely

Friday, February 26th, 2021by Shannon Esrich

“I missed my teachers most. They are the ones who make me love learning. When I was at home, no one encouraged me to read and work hard as my teachers do here in school. Teachers inspire me daily. That’s why I missed them a lot when I was away,” said Nelson. Nelson is a […]

R&R at School: Reliable Water Brings Relief

Friday, February 19th, 2021by Tom Murphy

Two years ago, students at UBA Senior Secondary School in Sierra Leone did not have a reliable source of safe water. The well that was on the school grounds was unreliable and open, meaning it was unsafe for drinking. The more than 700 students at the school had to drop a bucket attached to a […]

Clean, accessible, reliable water doesn’t change anything – it changes everything

Friday, February 12th, 2021by Shannon Esrich

Field Officer Laura Alulu noted many differences in Emukangu Community, Kenya since her first visit there. “This is a promising group,” she said. “Before this project was completed, getting water here was a real hustle,” said Roselyne Khasungu, a 35-year-old farmer and mother. Roselyne depends on Okhaso Spring for water, which our teams helped transform into […]

Water Lets Gardens, and Independence, Flourish

Friday, February 5th, 2021by Tom Murphy

Each morning, Mary Mutua would wake up to walk more than 1.5 miles to fetch water from the Kituluni River. Hundreds of people in Maluvyu Village relied upon the seasonal river for water. Mary often waited in line to collect water from a seasonal scoop hole. On the days she did not want to wait, […]

Empowering a safe and healthy return to school in Kenya

Friday, January 29th, 2021by Shannon Esrich

Since last March, students across Kenya have been home from school when the Kenyan government enacted nation-wide school closures to help prevent the spread of the novel coronavirus. Although the government allowed a partial school reopening in November and December so that the final-year grades of each school level could take their exams, most students […]

Patiently waiting for a return to normal life

Friday, January 22nd, 2021by Tom Murphy

Thomas Mwonga is looking forward to life returning to normal. At 71, Thomas is still not ready to retire, but the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic means that opportunities to work are few and far between. Our team recently visited Ilingoni, Kenya, to conduct a COVID-19 prevention training and monitor their well and sand dam. […]

A winding road through the pandemic for a motorbike taxi driver and community health expert

Friday, January 15th, 2021by Shannon Esrich

Jacob Likuyi is a man who wears many hats – or, perhaps more accurately, helmets. By trade, Jacob is a 45-year-old boda boda, or motorbike taxi driver. A profession typically filled by younger men, Jacob doesn’t let his age hold him back from his livelihood. Jacob’s verve and friendly smile quickly give away his good […]