Kikumini Primary School Rainwater Harvesting Tank Project



Water Point
Project Features
   
Click icons to learn more


Country:
Kenya

Program:
Kenyan Rainwater Harvesting

GPS:
Latitude -1.57
Longitude 37.66

Impact:
239 Served

Project Status:
Installed


Take a Tour




 

 



Explore The Project

Stories and Community Profile

This project is being implemented as part of our shared program with African Sand Dam Foundation. Our team is pleased to directly share the below report (edited for clarity, as needed).

Background Information

Kikumini primary school is located in Kithunthi Village, Kilala Sub-Location, Ngomano Location, Kibauni Division, Mwala District of Machakos County. The school was established in 1984 and has a student population of 228. 123 of these are boys, and 105 are girls. There are 10 teachers eight males and 2 females. There is also one staff member.

Since there is no water source within the school compound, pupils are responsible for carrying water from home to school every day. Each student’s burden is one jerry can filled with five liters of water. This water is used for drinking and cooking during the academic day.

The alternative water source is the Endau Earth dam which is 10-20 minutes away from the school. If students run out of water from home, they will have to go fetch water from the dam in the afternoon.

Justification

There is an acute shortage of safe, clean water in the community. Negative results include student absences due to waterborne illnesses, poor academic performance and low levels of concentration due to thirst, and poor hygiene.

There is no hand-washing facility in the school compound. There are only three latrine units shared by both the boys and girls, with two separate units for staff. According to the World Health Organization’s recommendations, the school facility is more than one latrine short for each gender.

These students and teachers will greatly benefit from a rainwater harvesting tank. If there is a water source within the compound, students will save precious study time. This water will provide more opportunities for improvement; hygienic, academic, and economic opportunities that unlock these students’ and teachers’ potential.

Project Result: Rainwater Harvesting Tank

Parents helped mobilize local materials such as hardcore and ballast. Donors and the organization are responsible for 80% of each project, but the community itself is encouraged to take ownership of the remaining 20%. This greatly contributes to locals’ sense of responsibility towards project management and maintenance. The community really came through for their 20%, donating ksh 90,000 for the purchase of clean sand and its transportation. Other parents also spent time and energy helping the team construct the tank, which was completed on August 18, 2015.


Project Photos


Recent Project Updates


12/07/2015: Kikumini Primary School Rainwater Harvesting Tank Complete

We are very excited to report that, thanks to your willingness to help, the students and staff of Kikumini Primary School in Kenya have a new and convenient way to fetch clean water. A new rainwater harvesting system was completed in August. Just imagine the difference this water resource will make in the lives of these students! We updated the project page with the latest details including pictures of the finished tank. The spout will be unlocked and usable after sufficient rainfall. Please enjoy seeing the huge difference your generosity has made!

The Water Project and Kikumini Primary School Thank You for unlocking potential.


The Water Project : kenya4395-24-tank-and-piping


11/19/2015: Kikumini Primary School Rainwater Harvesting Tank Underway

We are excited to announce that, thanks to your willingness to help, Kikumini Primary School will soon have a new source of safe, clean water. A new rainwater harvesting system is being constructed and the community will receive training in sanitation and hygiene. Together these resources will go a long way toward stopping the spread of disease in the area. We just posted an initial report for this project including information about the community, GPS coordinates, and pictures. We’ll keep you posted as the work continues.

Take a look, and Thank You for your help!


The Water Project : kenya4395-13-students


Monitoring Data


Project Type:  Rainwater Catchment
Location:  Central Kenya
ProjectID: 4395
Install Date:  08/18/2015

Monitoring Data
Water Point:
Functional
Last Visit: 12/21/2017

Visit History:
07/14/2016 — Functional
12/16/2016 — Functional
06/05/2017 — Functional
09/06/2017 — Functional
12/21/2017 — Functional




Country Details

Kenya

Population: 39.8 Million
Lacking clean water: 43%
Below poverty line: 50%

Partner Profile

Africa Sand Dam Foundation (ASDF) supports self-help groups to harvest and conserve water through construction of sand dams & shallow wells, rock catchments and school roof catchments.