Water Matters

The latest on our work and those supporting it

Jade Yoga – Brand Partner

https://jadeyoga.com/

Jade Yoga has been a supporter of The Water Project since 2011. Jade is committed to making the world’s best performing, most environmentally friendly yoga products and giving back to the earth with every product sold – including clean water! We had the opportunity to speak with Dean Jerrehian of Jade Yoga about his commitment to providing clean water through his business opportunities.

Dean first learned about the water crisis from his daughter, while she was in high school. “She explained to me that time kids could be spending in schools learning was often used to travel long distances to obtain fresh water – not to mention the many water-borne diseases they were at risk for. It was honestly surprising to me that such a basic need (that I take for granted) is so hard to come by for me.”

Continue Reading »

Notes from Spencer, Director of Program

In February I was able to make my first journey as Director of Program with The Water Project to visit our projects in Lungi and Lokomasama, Sierra Leone.  I had the good fortune of traveling with Michael Ballou, our resident engineer and operations manager on staff at The Water Project. We flew into Lungi Town, located to the North of Tagrin Bay, which flows between quaint and quiet Lungi and the large and sprawling capital of Freetown to the south. The area is marked by rows of Palm trees- vestiges of an oil industry now abandoned, and by numerous fruit and nut trees that continue to flourish in the area.  The thick crown of prolific mango trees serve as a ubiquitous seasonal candy-shop. Cashew trees are not as common, but provide a two-for-one fruit and nut combination within some of the communities. Cotton trees stand as sentinels above the tops of the mangos and palms with roots that resemble flying buttresses and thick branches that stretch toward the sun. Walk down a dirt ribbon road and discover breadfruit trees and guava. A humid coastal heat blankets the day of a dry season leading into a hotter and drier March.

Spencer with our partners in Sierra Leone

The people radiate a strength and resilience of those who have endured some of the most difficult trials that life has to offer- natural disasters, Ebola outbreaks, cholera epidemics, civil wars, and post-colonial political challenges.  Whether purchasing bread or negotiating passage through a road under construction we were often greeted with a slight smile and the words “my friend.” Our implementing partner organization, Mariatu’s Hope is working with communities to install or rehabilitate thirty-five water, sanitation, and hygiene projects this year and they are currently monitoring 124 water points which they have previously implemented.

Continue Reading »

300+ students need water at Prophecy Primary School in Sierra Leone

Help these students gain access to clean, reliable water in celebration of World Water Day on March 22nd.

Welcome to the School

Prophecy Primary School employs seven teachers and can get quite noisy with its 305 students. Without Prophecy Primary in Sankoya community, children would have to walk extraordinary distances elsewhere.

There is no electricity or running water. There are three classrooms and a space for the headmaster’s office. Each classroom is split for two classes, facing opposite directions.

Classrooms at Prophecy Primary School

Water Situation

There is a hand-dug well on school grounds which supports students with their cleaning, hand-washing, and drinking needs. They always carry a bucket back home at the end of the day because there isn’t another clean water source in their part of Sankoya. In fact, the entire community relies on the school’s well.

Continue Reading »

434 Students in Need of Water at the Muleche Primary School

Every month, we’re going to share just one of the hundreds of water projects we’re actively raising funds to help.  These reports are prepared by our partners in the field who meet with these communities months before work begins to better understand the water situation.

We hope you’ll take a moment to get to know these folks and think about ways you can help us help them find access to clean, safe water.

Welcome to the School

Muleche Primary School opened in 1984 to serve students living in and nearby Shinyalu, Kenya. It has a total enrollment of 434 students, of which 225 are girls and 209 are boys.

The local government has found that parents of these students are extremely unsupportive when it comes to education. Many of the parents say that it’s a waste of time if their children can just get by with menial labor jobs like they do.

The School Gates

Students arrive no later than 7am to begin a quick cleaning the school compound, sweeping classrooms, and cleaning latrines. Normal classes start at 8am and go until lunch. The day ends at 5pm.

The Muleche Primary School

Water Situation

There is no water on school grounds. A teacher must take a group of students out into the community whenever they need water. Water is fetched from a slow moving river which looks more like a swamp. There are plants growing in the water, and it has a bad odor.

Students Walking for Water

Continue Reading »