Water Matters

The latest on our work and those supporting it

5 Surprising Ways Sand Dams Reinvigorate Communities

Tuesday, May 2nd, 2023by Tom Murphy

Sand dams are an innovative, sustainable, and cost-effective technology used to improve water access in dry regions worldwide. A sand dam is a small dam constructed across a seasonal river or stream bed where water flows during the rainy season. The dam is built to capture and store water in the sand that accumulates behind […]

First UN water conference in half-century yields new promises, no binding actions

Tuesday, April 18th, 2023by Tom Murphy

The UN convened world leaders to address the global water crisis for the first time in more than a half-century – the outcomes got mixed reviews.

Ways to Support The Water Project

Wednesday, April 5th, 2023by Guest Contributor

As a member of the Philanthropy Team here at The Water Project (TWP), I’m often asked by our amazing donors how else they can help beyond their donation. I love this question, and honestly, the best ways I’ve seen to expand your impact have come from the examples other passionate donors have shared with me! […]

A World with Clean Water for All

Tuesday, March 21st, 2023by Guest Contributor

Berkshire Blanket & Home Co. has been a generous supporter of The Water Project through 1% for the Planet. 1 The company’s Director of Marketing Claudia Addamo shares their commitment to clean water and sustainability. Can you tell us about your decision to donate through 1% for the Planet? Our decision to donate to 1% […]

How Spring Protection Works

Friday, March 17th, 2023by Courtney Feild

Springs have been used by local communities as a source of water supply for many years. Community acceptance, low operating and maintenance costs, and ease of community management make springs quite effective for supplying rural communities with water. Springs occur where water from an unground aquifer flows out of the ground to the surface. It […]

Partners in Accessible Clean Water

Wednesday, March 15th, 2023by Guest Contributor

JadeYoga has been a corporate supporter of The Water Project since 2011. Their generosity has brought clean and accessible water to thousands of families. In honor of World Water Day, JadeYoga has pledged to donate 10% of online sales today, March 22nd. Year-round sales of yoga towels support clean water projects. Kaitlyn Evans, JadeYoga’s Sustainability, […]

The Faces and Facets of Reliability

Tuesday, March 14th, 2023by Guest Contributor

By Director of Programs, Spencer Bogle One of our core values at The Water Project is reliability. Reliability is one of those glorious terms that evokes a wide range of images that extend from a washing machine that never breaks down to a friend who is consistently available for a conversation with a drink when […]

Monitoring isn’t the same as Reliability

Monday, February 27th, 2023by Peter

“A watched pot never boils” is an axiom my mother often shared growing up. I never bought it. I knew if I stood there long enough, even though my perception of time might be altered, if I kept heat underneath a pot of water, it would boil regardless of my gaze. My monitoring of the […]

Sustainability and Discernment

Monday, February 20th, 2023by Guest Contributor

Have you ever played Pancakes vs. Waffles? Basically it’s a game of this or that: Players debate the merits of pancakes over waffles (or in my case, the other way around) and then everyone takes a vote on which is the superior breakfast fare. This is a great game for people who enjoy the back-and-forth […]

What Inspires Us

Tuesday, February 7th, 2023by Jamie Heminway

Working anywhere, you’ll find coworkers with unique hobbies, backgrounds, and reasons for working where they do. But in no other workplace have I found such a wide spectrum of where people started and why they ended up here at The Water Project (TWP). This is why it’s particularly fascinating to hear everyone’s favorite parts about […]